Task Force Update
Thank you to our church family for your continued prayers as your task force team meets to determine our recommendation for the various steps we need to take as we work to return to the numerous on-campus activities at Shalimar United Methodist Church.
It may help our church family to understand the why and how of the task force team:
• Our resident Bishop, David Graves, asked that each church form a task force team to give recommendations to the lead pastor in determining the steps needed to return to public worship. This directive came on Monday afternoon, April 27.
• Our church’s lead team—comprised of our church council chair, finance chair, SPRC chair, trustee chair, lay leader, church administrator, and our lead pastor—reinforced the need of this team on Wednesday, April 29.
• The task force team was recruited and our lay leader, Angie Turnbow, was asked to chair the team. The team had their first meeting on April 30.
• The church’s lead team asked the task force to work a two-step process. First, give recommendation of how we can begin to return to public worship. Once that recommendation is formed, the task force team will work the second step to provide a recommendation for how additional on-campus activities and ministries will resume. This step would include children’s and youth ministries.
• This past Tuesday, May 12, we received from our Annual Conference the minimum guidelines we must meet to resume public worship.
With this as our foundation, there are several updates we would like to share with you:
• Your task force team’s number one priority continues to be the health and safety of all who are a part of the Shalimar United family.
• The task force team is now taking each of the guidelines given to us by our Annual Conference and, working with our various expertise represented on the team, is developing a recommendation as to a step-by-step process in which we can begin to return to public worship, the venues of those services, and the on-campus logistics we will need to adopt.
• The task force thanks you for your response to the questionnaire and these results will be very helpful as we develop our step one recommendation.
SUMC COVID-19 Task Force Update
Who will act on the task force team’s recommendation?
• The task force team’s recommendation for resuming public worship will be given to our lead pastor, Philip McVay. Pastor Philip will ask the church’s lead team to consider the recommendation and will then approve and implement or ask the task force to reconsider any part of it and then resubmit.
• Once the lead team is ready to implement, we will communicate to all of our church family the when, where, and how we will begin to return to public worship.
• The task force team will then begin the second step of working to form a recommendation for the other ministries and activities of the church. This recommendation would then follow the same path as the first to implementation.
We ask for your continued prayers and understanding as we diligently work toward these recommendations. The task force team is moving as quickly as possible to form the recommendation for us to be able to meet together in public once again.
Pastor Brad adds this final thought as adapted from an email sent to him by a friend.
It is very easy to be impatient right now, so let’s remind each other of this word:
Those who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint. (Isaiah 40:30)
Let’s continually be in prayer for each other as we wait on the Lord. This waiting is a time that will require all the patience we can muster. A time that will require all the faith we can muster. A time that’s better measured as Kairos than Chronos. A time we must leave to God.
Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow!